Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Heat and Politics!

So, since I don't blog as often as I would like to, I'm combining two blogs into one. Yet again, I'm here at work trying to stay awake. It's getting a little better but my body is still not happy with this whole staying up all night thing. So first off, my brother-in-law and sister sent me this great email about moving to St. George that made me laugh that I felt it needed to be posted so you could all understand my pain. Excuse the couple little swear words....enjoy it, I sure did!

Subject: Moving to St. George...?
May 30th: Just moved to St. George. Now this is a town that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.
June 14th: Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshiper.
June 30th: Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.
July 10th: The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's kind of windy though. However, getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.
July 15th: Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.
July 20th: I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the upholstery. The car now smells like baked cat. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.
July 25th: The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. I'm gonna kill the next guy that says; but it's a dry heat! Yeah, so's a freakin' oven!
July 30th: Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now. $425,000 house and I can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?
Aug. 4th: It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature all the way down to 85. I hate this stupid town.
Aug. 8th: If another wise person cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?'I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!
Aug. 9th: Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my butt was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs. Now my car smells like burnt hair and baked cat.
Aug 10th:The weather report might as well be a darn recording. Hot and sunny Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do much for 2 months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn desert? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't live in this heat.
Aug. 14th: Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, Hot enough for you today? My sister had to spend $1500 to bail me out


My sister informed me that they only have enough to bail me out of jail once so I need to make it count when I do it. Everyon says that fall here is great, and my same question to them over and over again is when in the heck will fall come cause it's still hitting the 100's. When I read this I was laughing so hard I was almost crying cause it just seemed so true.

Next, right along with heat is politics. Things sure are heating up when it comes to politics these days. As elections get closer and closer people get more up in arms about the elections. I have come to find myself a little fiesty about the whole thing. I'm not trying to turn this into some political blog. I strongly feel that everyone has their own right to believe what they may and vote for who they want, including myself. I feel very strongly about some things and worry for the future of America at times when I see what we have in the political group. A friend of mine sent these comparisons to me and I found it interesting to be able to see them laid out before my eyes. I just hope that people are voting for the right reasons. Be informed and know who you are voting for and what they are really going to do for America. Vote responsibly (ya know like drink responsibly, know what you are doing before you do it....do I sound like a parent...?) I know that not all politicians will do all that they say they will, but atleast be informed. I'm not even totally informed. I admit myself that I don't know a lot and probably am missing lots of pieces of each situation.

2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE COMPARISON TALKING POINTS ISSUE



JOHN McCAIN BARACK OBAMA
Favors new drilling offshore US? Yes No (first answer McCain second answer Obama)
Will appoint judges who interpret the law not make it Yes No
Served in the US Armed Forces Yes No
Amount of time served in the US Senate 22 YEARS 173 DAYS
Will institute a socialized national health care plan No Yes
Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy No Yes
Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately No Yes
Supports gun ownership rights Yes No
Supports homosexual marriage No Yes
Proposed programs will mean a huge tax increase No Yes
Voted against making English the official language No Yes
Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals No Yes
CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN-0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.
OBAMA-28% on profit from ALL home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)
DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN-15% (no change)
OBAMA-39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')
INCOME TAX

MCCAIN -(no changes)Single making 30K - tax $4,500 Single making 50K - tax $12,500 Single making 75K - tax $18,750 Married making 60K- tax $9,000 Married making 75K - tax $18,750 Married making 125K - tax $31,250
OBAMA -(reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)Single making 30K - tax $8,400 Single making 50K - tax $14,000 Single making 75K - tax $23,250 Married making 60K - tax $16,800 Married making 75K - tax $21,000 Married making 125K - tax $38,750 Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!
INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN- 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)
OBAMA-Restore the inheritance tax Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet. New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity) New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

You can verify the above at the following web sites:
http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/election/2008/index.html http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.taxes.html
http: //elections.foxnews.com/?s=proposed+taxes http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/politics/articles/mccain_obama_offer_different_visions_on_taxes.html
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/candidates/barack_obama/ http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/candidates/john_mccain/

So I know there are so many political issues and as you can all tell I'm not a huge fan of Obama, and honestly never have been. A poll was taken when President Clinton was elected with women of why they voted for him and 40% of women voted for him because they thought he was good looking.....come on now, seriously! So I've been getting a little worried with all of Obama's "it's time for a change" that people aren't looking deeper at what he plans to do and people just want all these changes he keeps talking about. And seriously, look at the time spent in politics, that really worries me. Well, enough of my ranting. I love all of you no matter what you vote so I hope no one gets all mad about it, I just felt with elections coming up it's important to know what's going on.

As an update, I haven't seen as many of my pets around lately. My black widow spider has been hiding away lately and I've killed the ants off with some very powerful Raid! It's obviously still too hot down here for my likings. School is going ok, I passed my first test with an A. I start clincals and labs in just a couple weeks. Well, I better sign off for now! I will post as often as I can and when I can think of fun things to post.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

You're crazy. I love it! I'm glad school is going okay. Way to go on you're A!! When are you coming home?

Ali said...

Heat and Politics, huh? I don't think the subject matters are too far off from each other! I am so scared of Obama...and did your Cat really blow up and die in the car?/! I'm so sorry! wow.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your last post, BUT I found our CD...you know our driving to Maxwell CD....I've listened to Les Mis like 10 billion times since. LOVE IT AND MISS YOU!