Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Staying awake....

So here I sit at work, my second night shift and all I can do is think, "stay awake, stay awake, stay awake!" My body is so not happy with this night thing. I'm such a light weight that by 10 I'm tired and ready for bed. So here I sit at 2:15 and my stomach hurts, my muscles ache, and my eyes just want to close. All I can think about is my nice comfortable bed waiting for me to pounce in 4 more hours. I know that my body will adjust to it a little bit better, well I hope atleast. Some nurses are really encouraging and tell me that I never will adjust and will just be miserable....that just gives me that warm fuzzies....I mean come on, you can lie a little here and there in these kinds of situations. A little fake optimism doesn't hurt anyone. It's a super slow night, all my homework is done, which I'm coming to find as one of my favorite things about nights (so far that being the only one)! It's amazing the fantasies you can have just about sleeping, who would have thought til you are forced to stay up all night. So tonight I have had many political conversations with patients. It's amazing as elections get nearer how riled up people get, myself included. I watched Obamas acceptance speech, and don't get me started on that. If any of you are curious of my views, contact me personally cause it could be a while. It's funny how the older patients get so fiesty about it. It made for some good nightly conversations this evening.

Well, overall, all is well down in the desert. It's still to stinking hot to stand. I do have a couple pets in my temporary home to keep me company. One is a black widow on my front porch, which terrifies me to no end. Then the lizards that are all over that cause me to have a heart attack everytime I walk out the door because all I hear is a scamper in the bushes and think it's someone jumping out to attack me. Then I have the friendly ant infestation in the kitchen, which raid has helped to eliminate. And finally, the friendly cocharoaches that hang out on my front porch as a welcoming commitee when I come home, ore leave, isn't it so sweet? So many wonderful pets for me to enjoy. I and thought I would want a dog.....

School is going well. Not to chaotic....yet! Once labs and clincals all hit at once my brain will be very tired. For now, it's just a little here and there. I know this is a random blog with random thoughts, but thats what you get when I'm trying to stay awake. Any helpful hints for pulling nights from you experienced folk would be helpful. Sorry no pics again. I haven't taken much since I've been down here but the sunsets are beautiful from the view of my backyard. I'll have to post some of that. Well, babbling has helped slightly to keep me awake and the false code blue that was just called gave me a little jolt of adrenaline. I'm signing off for now, excuse any bad grammar or miss spellings, I can't think very straight and my brain function is on the lower end.

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

Of course you'll get used to it babe! Nights are hard, but I'm felling for you in a small degree as I get up each night to feed the baby and almost drop her all the time as I fall asleep trying to nurse. BTW, get new pets, yours are sick.

Ali said...

What do you feed your pets? Wow, I would still get a dog I think. You are too sleepy to think straight to think those would suffice!

Linds said...

Wow, nice pets! I've got some of the same ones down here, a nice big cockroach in the sink this morning when I got up. So accomadating! I can't believe you have to stay up all night, that's the PITS!

Kimball said...

haha Andra! Sounds like me and you could talk politics for hours. We just got rid of our "pets," but you'll have to ask Bonnie to find out what they were!

~Jeneece said...

After I read that post i had a nightmare about a giant spider. i blame you ENTIRELY.